Wednesday 8 March 2023

March 8 To the lighthouse - Cape Horn

 

Because of its legendary storms and rough seas, sailing round Cape Horn has gone down in history as a challenge for all seafarers. The weather forecast for our Cape navigation was looking a bit doubtful with a nasty weather pattern fast approaching. The Captain managed to make it nevertheless but not before I climbed up to the Cape Horn lighthouse!! It was one of THOSE experiences - a bit scary, a bit challenging (for me) and exhilarating. 

The Lighthouse is circled in yellow
You think you know about places and historical events but if you’re like me often you really don’t. Travel keeps me on a steep learning curve. We all know where Cape Horn is. What I didn’t know is that the infamous Cape is located on the small island of Hornos in the Chilean archipelago. It is the most southern headland and marks the northern boundary of the Drake Passage.
So …… we were making a landing not at the Cape itself because it is sheer rock but a little further around the island not far from the lighthouse.
The expedition staff went ahead to check the landing site was manageable - and it was. The ‘beach’ a narrow band of loose rocks but not too bad they said. Landing was a matter of rolling out of the zodiac into the water between waves. I was just a teensy bit slow, in fact I was not watching the waves but trying to gauge how slippery the rocks were. And voila a wave caught me and dumped buckets of water into my boots. It was just water so no problemo but I sploshed for hours as I walked.
Most of us wouldn't have made it ashore if it hadn't been for the Expedition team
The climb to the top of the cliff was very steep and we were wearing an extra few kilos of  clothing - fleece-lined expedition jacket as well as a life jacket, wet-weather gear and heavy gum boots so it was slow going but I made it (Lindsay reckons there were over 150 steps). Then we headed off along duckboards to visit the lighthouse and hopefully to get across the island to a wonderful monument to sailors who had died attempting to sail around the ‘Horn’.
Lindsay was ahead of ma and already at the lighthouse
A lonely but appropriate spot for a chapel. A few of us sheltered from the wind there.
The weather closed in and the wind came howling like banshees at 50 odd Knot (over 90kph) up and over the island bringing with it rain. It was the strongest wind I’ve ever walked/stumbled in. A few people were actually blown off the duckboards - me? I could have very easily lost my footing but I just trundled along at a slow shuffle. The weather was not good so we decided not to walk the extra almost 1km to the Albatross monument because we still had to get back down off the ‘plateau’.

Pic: Erincullin Captured from the Internet
The monument is rather stunning and has a very beautiful poem by Sara Vial engraved on it which our Expedition leader read to us as we sailed past the Cape; it was very moving. But we still had to get down the cliff. It was slow going.
Once aboard we set sail for the Cape into a sky which was slowly turning magnificent golden and fiery orange.
This is Sara Vial’s haunting poem 
“I am the albatross that waits for you at the end of the Earth. 
I am the forgotten soul of the dead sailors who crossed Cape Horn from all the seas of the world. 
But they did not die in the furious waves. 
Today they fly in my wings to eternity in the last trough of the Antarctic wind.” 




No comments:

Post a Comment

December 31 what happened next?

What's been happening in the three month between arriving home and the end of this travel-packed year?  We haven't been idle - surpr...